Folder Polling and Pushing is an alternative to FTP based file transfer which is intended for use in circumstances where the customer's systems do not offer even an FTP based file transfer mechanism.
The Folder Polling and Pushing is facilitated by the use of the ‘MachShip App’, which is the same program that MachShip produces to allow for automatic printing of documentation and labels at customer sites.
‘Folder Polling’ refers to a practice whereby the installed MachShip App will ‘watch’ a folder on a client’s server or computer for files and wait for those files to appear. When the files eventually appear, the MachShip App will pick them up and transfer them to MachShip using the RESTful API so that the appearance and functionality of an FTP transfer method are realised and achieved.
An example workflow:
- MachShip App is configured to watch a particular folder.
- Consignment created in customer's system.
- Customer's system creates the required file and saves the file in the specified folder.
- MachShip App uploads the file to MachShip.
- Consignment is created in MachShip.
- If there are any issues with the file, these issues will need to be resolved manually outside of this workflow.
'Folder Pushing' is the reverse of Polling where MachShip will 'push' a file out to the MachShip App, which will then put the file in a specific folder. The customer's system can then monitor this folder and use these files internally.
Technical Level: IT Administrator
- Customer's system
- Setup structured files to be generated from the customer's systems
- Setup - MachShip system
- Install the app on-site at the customer's premises
- Configure the app through MachShip
- Setup - MachShip team
Additional Setup for client-specific file:
- MachShip team
- Develop the mapping to read and import the customer's specific file format
- Creating Consignments